To minimise the risk of your organisation being affected, we recommend that you do the following:
- Do not open suspicious/unknown emails or email attachments.VpsCity offers email solutions that include anti-virus filters to prevent malicious emails before they reach your computer.
- Make sure that you've installed the latest security updates for Microsoft Windows. Microsoft released a fix for the exploit in March, but unpatched Windows systems remain vulnerable.
- Make sure your Windows Defender or other antivirus software is updated before logging on to any network.
- Ensure that you have a good backup system for your data and that your backups are kept up to date.VpsCity takes regular backups of all servers which enables us to restore your data should it be compromised.
If you suspect that your computer or network has been compromised, we recommend that you do the following:
- Shut down your computer immediately to avoid further damage.
- Disconnect any infected computers from your network to prevent other computers on the same network being infected.
If you would like VpsCity to patch your systems, please feel free to contact us for assistance. For any support requests, please open a ticket at https://www.vpscity.co.nz//submitticket.php
Recently, there has been a ransomware virus circulating called "WannaCry". It has spread globally targeting a flaw in the Microsoft Windows operating system. The virus encrypts the victim's data and then demands a ransom for the decryption key. The speed and ferocity of the outbreak has taken many private and public companies by surprise.
The virus is spread via email as an attachment, but once it is on one computer, it can easily spread across the network to other vulnerable computers.